Sgiathbost: the sheltered house or farm
At the head of loch Snizort is Skeabost Country House Hotel and 9-hole golf course. This is where the River Snizort reaches the sea. The salmon and trout fishing is known throughout Skye to be very good here. Fishing Permits are available at the hotel. The Skeabost Hotel is a grand lodge built by the MacDonalds. Before 1954 when mains electricity became available, a hydro-electric scheme in river Snizort powered the Lodge.
Eilean Chaluim Chille or Saint Columba''s Isle is found in the river and can be reached by a wooden bridge. This was the Nicholson Clan graveyard for nine centuries and the aincient headstones can still be seen. The ruined chapel was also once the most important religious site in the islands from 1079 until 1498.